Monday, June 26, 2006

The Idea


So, one day my husband and I were tossing around ideas about how we could generate some extra income. We've made some money as freelance writers and have really liked flexing our creative muscles while earning a paycheck at the same time.

We'd received some literature about writing children's books and thought that the field seemed like a good fit for us.

I made a suggestion about some cookbooks for toddlers I thought I'd like to see. My husband was less than thrilled with the idea and said, "You know what I'd like to do? I'd like to do some kid's books about other countries. There aren't any picture books for young kids about other cultures and I think that'd be cool."

I thought for a moment and realized he was right. (I should explain here that I am a children's book hound. Since Max was about 6 months old, we've checked out 20 books every two weeks from the library, and since he is 3 years old now, that's over 1000 books! Public Libraries Rock!!! And I am always on the hunt at thrift stores for great kids' books. So when I say I realized he was right, I just want you to know that I know what I'm talking about.) Save for the errant book here or there, usually done in the late 70s or early 80s, no picture books about other cultures exist for babies or toddlers.

That idea was good enough, but then lightning struck.

"No!" I told him, "We're not just going to do just children's books... we're going to do children's books and DVD's. A baby's first travel show!"

From that moment on the ideas for our program content flew fast and furious. We would share certain elements from each country like their music, folklore, gorgeous footage of the landscape, nursery rhymes, artwork, and dance to name just a few.

The name even came to me easily, "One Wee World." And our invitation to parents, teachers, and caregivers, to "Globe-Trot with Your Tot" followed within minutes.

Even now, just writing this, I get so filled with energy and excitement and passion. I've never felt this way before about anything and I feel like I've been given a real gift to try and bring this idea to life.

And equally valuable gifts I've been given to make this happen are my friends, who are now my friends and business partners. My next post will be about my incredible friends who have already done incredible work to manifest our dreams.

3 Comments:

At 6:41 PM, Blogger Juliet said...

How exciting! I can't wait to read more about this! I wish you luck in it.
By the way, would you like you be blog buddies? I'll link you if you link me. ^_^

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

I would really like that. I'm new to blogging so I'll work on figuring out how to link you and as soon as I catch on, I'll do it.

Thanks so much. I've really enjoyed reading your posts and I look forward to treading the blogging path with you!

 
At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter is part of the New Wave American, meaning that her ethnicity fits into the category of Mutt. In her blood, she is part Mexican, Spanish, Irish, German, Native American, and waaaaaayy back in the gene pool, even a little African American. Your idea to tackle individual countries is an excellent one for children of all races. Particularly, those who belong to multi-races can learn about all the wonderful parts that have built their DNA. I can't wait to see these videos with my daughter!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home