Tuesday, June 20, 2006

In the Beginning


The reason I am starting this blog is very simple. I'm starting a new adventure in life, and I think it'd be fun to document it.

I've founded a company called "One Wee World" and our mission is to end racism, ignorance, and fear of others. We'd like to help each and every child cultivate a deep appreciation and respect for cultures different than their own. We will celebrate diversity.

The way we're going to do this is through a series of DVDs. The concept is very simple. One DVD, one country.

Right this moment we are in production on our first program, "One Wee World Celebrates Mexico." The reason I am saying "celebrates" instead of "presents" is that I understand that I do possess an inherent Western filter through which I learn about life. So instead of claiming to represent the country, I am saying that we are doing the best we can to celebrate its rich heritage, culture, and history.

My husband's in Mexico right now, as a matter of fact, just left this morning. He's going to be shooting footage for us starting in Teotihuacan and then moving on to Jalapa, the flower garden of Mexico, Veracruz, Villahermosa, Campeche, Merida, and ending up in Cancun and Tulum. Lucky son of a gun.... how is it that I was the one that got the idea and he's the one that gets to pop on over to Mexico for a drive through the Yucatan?

...oh yeah, our three year old, Max, who would implode if he had to spend more than an hour a day strapped into what he seems to perceive to be a torture device expressly created to enslave his soul, otherwise known as his carseat.

But I can't get too angry at him. After all, if it weren't for Max, I wouldn't have come up with the idea at all, and then, where would I be? (Quite frankly, I really don't know since I feel like One Wee World is what I was put on this earth to do)

But, it's 11:oopm and I've got to hit the hay for now. More later on how this all came about and what we hope to do. I've got a really good feeling about this...

3 Comments:

At 6:42 PM, Blogger Juliet said...

I can give you some information about China/Taiwan for future projects, if you like. My husban dis Chinese, and I have learned a lot of the language, and much about the culture.

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

That would be brilliant! One of the reasons I started blogging was to try to connect with other mothers whose lives are colored, literally and figuratively : ) by multiculturalism.

As I wrote, the first DVD's on Mexico, then we're doing Japan, and then the U.S. If all goes well after that, then we're going to China, India, and Kenya. I'd love to consult with you about China. It's such a massive subject, I know I'll need major help.

Thank you for your generous offer of help. I look forward to talking about it more with you!

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

Whoops! My mistake!

Instead of doing India, China, and Kenya next, we are going to be letting those who support One Wee World decide.

On our website, which Shelli is currently hard at work developing, we're going to be asking everybody's opinion on what they'd like to see next with a survey.

That way everyone who loves One Wee World will get to see more of what they love!

Shelli, thanks for catching that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home